Forbidden Dragon: The BlogGall of Marlo Dianne


"Bagels and Blood", short story, in Big Pulp (February 2010)


'Clockwork Dragon' by Marlo Dianne


"Clockwork Dragon", cover art, in Tales of Moreauvia (December 2009)


"Damp", flash, in Outshine (November 2009)


"Trenchcoats or Atomic Insects?", flash, in Outshine (October 2009)


"The Wedding Feast", short story, in Big Pulp (September 2009)


"Cooville", flash, in Sonar 4 (September 2009)


"Chiaroscuro", short story, in Cinema Spec(May 2009)


"Thou Shall Not, flash, in Everyday Weirdness (April 2009)


"Board Now", flash, in Dog Oil Press (March 2009)


"Whale Bone", flash, in Necrography (March 2009)


"Beneath the Crook", poem, in Goblin Fruit (October 2008)


'Fate Machine


"Fate Machine", story illustration, for 'A Test of Fate', in Strange, Weird, and Wonderful (October 2008)


'Hands Free


"Hands Free", story illustration, for 'It's Just a Child's Toy', in Strange, Weird, and Wonderful (October 2008)


'A Delicacy' by Marlo Dianne


"A Delicacy", story illustration, for 'Eating Bugs', in Strange, Weird, and Wonderful (October 2008)


'Tasty Treat Revue' by Marlo Dianne


"Tasty Treat Revue", story illustration, for 'Wicked Wire', in Strange, Weird, and Wonderful (October 2008)


'Teef' by Marlo Dianne


"Teef", cover art, in Big Pulp (June 2008) (reprint)


"Change", short story, in Written Word (April 2008)


"Hunted", short story, in Big Pulp (April 2008)


"Very Tale", poem, in Tales of the Talisman (March 2008)


'Follow' by Marlo Dianne


"Follow", story illustration, for 'Graduation', in All Possible Worlds (October 2007)


'Pillows' by Marlo Dianne


"Pillows", story illustration, for 'Day Off', in All Possible Worlds (October 2007)


"The Monkey's Eye", poem, in Goblin Fruit (October 2007)


"Flesh", short story, in Down in the Cellar (June 2007)


"Bard's Bones", short story, in Fusion Fragment (March 2007)


'Fantastique' by Marlo Dianne


"Fantastique", story illustration, for 'High Concept', in All Possible Worlds (March 2007)


'Robo Rampage' by Marlo Dianne


"Robo Rampage", story illustration, for 'Iron Man', in All Possible Worlds (March 2007)


'Teef' by Marlo Dianne


"Teef", story illustration, for 'Whitening', in All Possible Worlds (March 2007)


"One", flash, in Tales of the Talisman (December 2006)


"Courting Hell", short story, in Forgotten Worlds (October 2006)


"Id", flash, in Raven Electrick (June 2006)


"A Breath of Power", short story, in AlienSkin (February / March 2006)


Amityville House of Pancakes


"Ahop 2 Cover", cover art, for Amityville House of Pancakes Vol.2 (September 2005)


"Gella Murphy: Public Dick", novella, in Amityville House of Pancakes Vol.2 (September 2005)


"Prick", flash, in From the Asylum (August 2005)


"Inticingly entitled, "Prick" builds more suspense and atmosphere in 200 words than some authors manage in 200 pages. The reader truely does justice to the material, using her intensely erotic voice to give the piece the ... umm... climax it so richly deserves..."
--Decker_Angelis on the audio version of "Prick"


"Another marvelous thoughtful story."
--Abyss & Apex, on "Chiaroscuro"


"...an appealing magazine to look at, with the bright, childlike simplicity and intricate detail of the cover art catching, and holding, the eye."
--Eneit on "Clockwork Dragon"


"If you couldn't tell out there, Marlo Dianne does not write formulaic crap."
--Jack Mangan, author of Spherical Tomi and host of the Deadpan


"...a good bit of fun..."
--Tangent Online, on "Courting Hell"


"...funny, superbly written and engaging... tongue-in-cheek murder mystery...The story twists and turns harder than a high Alpine road, and Gella's resolution of the mystery came out in a way I did not at all expect. Dianne's pungent writing style complements Gella's gritty narration perfectly."
--SFReader, on "Gella Murphy: Public Dick"


"I can't think of another bunch of authors I'd rather be published with. No, really; all my favorites are long dead."
--Sally Kuntz, author of "Froggie"


"Really original."
--Adrienne Jones, author of Temple of Cod and The Hoax



Monday, March 13, 2006

Librivox: Great Big Treasury of Beatrix Potter - The Tale of Pigling Bland

Recent recording (*orphan) (03/06/06)

Beatrix Potter is *exceedingly* creepy. Yet again, I cannot *believe* people read this to children. When we did Grimm's Fairy Tales at LibriVox people were all 'oh noes! the children w1ll have nightmares!' *insert eye rolling here* To start, Fairy Tales weren't meant for children, although later versions were indeed revised and sanitised by editors who indeed targeted parents. But, even so, Grimm isn't that scary, you know what is?

Nursery Rhymes.


Those are always the sickest thing in the world, and then you set it to this sing-song music and make it a zillion times worse. I read Stephen King as a kid, and I was fine with it, I *loved* it, what freaked me out in the bad way was "Three Blind Mice". I tell you, that farmer's wife is a serial killer, and everyone is so *cheery* about it.

There's nothing like a bright cheery melody to really punch up morbid lyrics where very bad things happen to good people for no logical reason whatsoever. Especially as a lullaby.

*singing* *in translation*

"Somebody puts a baby in tree, and the wind whips it around, and then the branch snaps, and baby crashes to the ground. Cradle splinters, brains everywhere. Sweet dreams!"

This recording was also memorable because I did it several times. I was having mic trouble, and I tried to replace my mic, and it become an Odyssey...

My old mic is a cyber accoustics headset. No idea of the model number, as its prolly ten years old, and I'm not sure it even rated a model number. When I bought it, I was just replacing my desk mic, and the only other choice at the store was that desk mic.

This head set has a number of problems, but I learned to work around them. I could place my mic to get rid of most plosives. Although, I've never popped a P in my life. For some reason, my tricksies are Fs and Vs. But, mic placement and careful modulation usually helped with that.

Background noise, I manually clipped out. Incredibly tedious, but filters would always leave it in, or make holes in my voice, so it was the only option.

This mic was having some problems with clicking. Now, at first, I assumed it was entitely the damn mic. It is, in terms of tech, highly ancient, although before Librivox it spent most of it's life just sitting in a cupboard. Things suddenly really got ugly though with drops. The mic began to just drop out bits of words at random. 'Marlo Dianne' would record as 'Ma...o Di'.

So, my mic was driving me rabidly insane, with the clicking and dropping, making me take endless retakes to patch together a clean-ish recording. Then, of course, getting to the point where I would spend a whole night recording, and have *nothing* I could actually use.

So, though I couldn't afford it, I began to get obsessed with a new mic.

And after much nagging, uh, consulting with the spouse, I got one. I picked up another CA headset. It was terrible. The 'background noise' had peaks nearly the same as the actual audio. Also, my voice sounded like it had been fed through a bad 80s synthesizer.

So Replacement Mic #1 got returned.

But that put me back at taking 6hrs to make a half hour recording, if things went *well*, so I soon was yanking at my hair and bitching and moaning and complusing all over like Hamlet, and the spousal unit took pity and went and bought R.M. #2, after consulting with tech help at work.

Tech help had advised to "Get anything, ever, but a USB." I just about choked on my tongue, both at the price and the advice, but this mic was logitech, so I did allow a bit of hope, just a sliver, to ignite that this one might work.

R.M. #2 also had clicks. Less, but present. This suggested to me that I might make clicks. I mean, I don't *notice* clicks when I talk, and interrogations of everyone I talk with revealed no one else has noticed such a thing, but hey. Either that, or all mics suck. Though, this theory also had a good chance, because the logitech mic had issues too.

A design that was as comfortable as screwing a vice onto my head, a mic arm that was, at the closest possible placement, 6" from my mouth, so that recordings sounded like I had made them from another room, and most bizarrely considering that second bit, plosives in every word. I was popping pretty much every word in the alphabet. Also, if I tried to amplify the recording to make it, say, faintly audible, the 'background noise' to 'actual audio' thing was right back at R.M. #1.

So that one went back, and I went deeper into WTF angst and depression and why is this so frickin hard?

But, the spouse, who is indeed a hero, decided, with this much failure, the only thing left to do to make happy was to be sure you've mucked everything you can muck, and decided to hell with eating this week, and got me a logitech USB (stereo 250) .

I recorded Piglang Bland with each of the mics at one point, because it was so awful each time that I couldn't use it. With the USB mic, I did it in one take. That was kind of sweet. That's the version I upped to Librivox. But there are problems.

Background noise, while not awful, is stealthy and persistent. It's like...a faint breeze in the recording at all times. But that's only if I allow the mic to record at you can sort of see the peaks in audacity without squinting too hard. If I try to get it to record at a basic *good* volume, I get the wind is really howling. Dammit.

So my solution was to leave it at quiet, and them use a very light noise removal filter, then manually cut my breathing, which lingers. Also had to manually cut clicks from where I wasn't talking, so I *know* I'm not all the clicks at least.

Yes, the mic still clicks. Which drives me insane, as it's so damn distracting it's all I can hear when I listen to my own recordings. And I cringe into muscle cramps :P Of course, maybe it's partly my own mouth, who knows, but I hate it. Spouse advises that no one else would ever even hear the clicks, that I am just being my anal perfectionist self.

Anyway, end point, while recording and editing time is shorter, I'm not sure the results sound any better. The new mic sounds *different*, but I'm not sure it's *better* That means I'm not sure I should keep the mic. I'd feel a lot less guilty about its cost if the results were clearly kickass awesome.

Edit: I got advice from Chip, a fellow LibriVox Voice, that told me to stop trying to mess with the background noise, just leave everything as it is. I totally cannot do that. The thought of it makes me sweat and twitch as my stomach goes chompy. The clicks that I can kill, I must, and the breathing has to go too. If you're listening to a classic, do you want to be marooned thinking, "What is that? Crickets?", or "wow, that's some bad asthma", or worse, "what is this? A stalker?" :P So I've changed how I modify, but if I couldn't clean them up, I couldn't use them at all. :P Yes, I'm that must do my best compulsive, even when I'm freakin volunteering. You can't just turn that off, you know. It's hard-wired.

Further Edit: I think the mic may work out. At least, I have had some feedback on the new recordings that seem to approve.

<< Home

Online Portfolio: Small samples of my art.


Forbidden Dragon: Very small online print gallery.



They're Free. Take One. Or All:


"Despair" by H.P. Lovecraft (recorded live, 06/22/07)


Prick by Marlo Dianne (higher res single; posted 02/08/07)


Prick by Marlo Dianne (previously appeared in digital print; August 2005, From the Asylum; posted 02/08/07)


A Fruitless Assignment by Ambrose Bierce (posted 01/22/07)


Id by Marlo Dianne (higher res single; posted 01/13/07)


Star Wars in 230 Words by Byron Starr (posted 12/07/06)


Id by Marlo Dianne (previously appeared in digital print; June 2006, Raven Electrick; posted 11/30/06)


Seen by Marlo Dianne (previously unpublished; posted 10/04/06)


Herbert West: Reanimator - Part 1 - From the Dark by H. P. Lovecraft (04/04/06; posted 05/13)


Herbert West: Reanimator - Part 2 - The Plague-Daemon by H. P. Lovecraft (04/16/06; posted 05/18)


Herbert West: Reanimator - Part 3 - Six Shots By Moonlight by H. P. Lovecraft (05/17/06; posted 06/01)


Herbert West: Reanimator - Part 4 - The Scream of the Dead by H. P. Lovecraft (07/14/06; posted 07/17)


Herbert West: Reanimator - Part 5 - The Horror from the Shadows by H. P. Lovecraft (08/12/06; posted 08/14)


Herbert West: Reanimator - Part 6 - The Tomb-Legions by H. P. Lovecraft (10/18/06; posted 10/18)


The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams (03/27/06; posted 05/02)


Books I've saved, forever free for everyone:


Mary Hartwell Catherwood - The Romance of Dollard (100%)


James De Mille - The Lily and the Cross (posted 01/27/10)


James De Mille - A Castle in Spain (posted 01/05/10)


Robert J. C. Stead - The Homesteaders (posted 04/20/09)


James De Mille - The Cryptogram (posted 03/29/09)


James De Mille - The Dodge Club (posted 10/29/08)


James De Mille - The Lady of the Ice: A Novel (posted 07/07/07)


(As a PP for DP):


Émile Faguet - Initiation into Literature (posted 07/27/03)


Stephen Hudson - War-time Silhouettes (posted 06/17/03)


Ezra Pound - Certain Noble Plays of Japan (posted 06/14/03)


Elias Johnson - Legends, Traditions, and Laws of the Iroquois, or Six Nations, and History of the Tuscarora Indians (posted 06/08/03)


Magnus Gustaf Mittag-Leffler - Niels Henrik Abel (posted 05/19/03)


+474 pages for DP (from April - July 2003)


September 22 2005 - September 14 2013


All Material
© 1991-2013

Marlo Dianne.


All Rights Reserved.

counter