LibriVox: Victory...and Thwarting
Despite a slew of technical issues, from my mic and Audacity and my net, I fought on, and the Count has now been staked. I got Chapter 27 up to the catalogue on Friday. :D
I have some new poetry additions, most recently, "O Captain! My Captain!" by Walt Whitman and "Lament of the Irish Emigrant" by Helen Selina, Lady Dufferin.
My mic was giving me trouble. Lots of it. It's taken to nearly constant clicking and drops. Sigh. I have no idea why. It used to do it now and then, but now....whoa. Yesterday, I tried to buy a new mic. This was not easy, the selection is beyond limited. I picked the most likely one and brought it home.
It doesn't work.
It records my voice as though it's been folded through an 80s synthesizer, and I was speaking across the room, and it creates an immense buzzing background. This was *not* the cheapest mic, and it featured 'noise cancelling' blah blah, which as it turns out, means we will try to get rid of your voice. *insert eye rolling here*
So I'm back to my crappy mic and endless snippet re-records. I have to do my readings in paragraphs, then save them, edit them, and redo phrases where there were clicks and drops, until I can piece together a 'clean' recording. This means it takes me 6 hours to record a chapter that would take me 20 minutes to just read outright. I know this exactly. I've timed it.
It sucks. It's a pure fun killer.
But I love books, and I'll try to keep going, if time and patience allows. Huge if, but we'll see.
Last night, I recorded The Junior Classics [vol 1] - by William Patten - Chap 82: Beauty and the Beast. 6 hrs to record and edit. The final version runs at a bit over a half hour, as I have to break the reading into itty bits, with lots of pauses, so I can hope to drop phrases in and out when I have to try to force a clean bit. Every phrase needs dozens of attempts, until accidentally, one comes out clean. Very tedious, and a fairly unnatural way to read, but I'll have to get used to it, if I want to keep contributing.